Cod fillets topped with a creamy lemon basil mixture and finished with crispy panko breadcrumbs. This easy Lemon Basil Baked Cod is a low calorie, high protein meal you can make in under 30 minutes!
This easy Lemon Basil Baked Cod looks and tastes like you went to all kinds of trouble but it’s really very quick and easy to put together. You’ll seriously feel like a kitchen pro when you pull this out of the oven.
This delicious cod recipe is loaded with fresh, lemony flavor. I like to serve it over a bed of Sautéed Spinach for a tasty and satisfying, low carb meal.
Cod Fish Benefits
There are so many reasons to include this healthful fish on your menu.
- It is one of the most versatile seafood varieties available. This meaty white fish becomes something completely different depending on how it’s prepared.
- It’s widely available and lower priced than other seafood varieties, like salmon.
- It is loaded with protein and low in fat and calories.
- It is mild in flavor and less “fishy” than many other seafood varieties making it very kid-friendly.
- Plain panko breadcrumbs
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh parsley
- Lemon – One lemon juiced and zested. You might want to pick up another lemon to slice into wedges for serving.
- Salt/Freshly ground black pepper
- Onion powder
- Greek yogurt – I use 2% but nonfat or full fat will work as well.
- Mayonnaise – Go with olive oil or another healthy fat mayo.
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil
- Minced garlic
- Cod fillets – I buy the bags of individually frozen Wild Alaskan cod fillets at Costco for an easy seafood dinner anytime the craving strikes.
How to Make Lemon Basil Baked Cod
- In a small bowl combine the panko, olive oil, parsley, lemon zest, onion powder, salt and pepper, and toss until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, mayo, Parmesan, basil, garlic, paprika, lemon juice, and a little more salt and pepper.
- Pat the cod fillets dry with paper towels.
- Place the cod fillets on the a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spoon the yogurt mixture on the top of each fillet and spread it around with the back of the spoon.
- Sprinkle the panko mixture evenly over each fillet, patting it down lightly with your fingers.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the temperature in the thickest fillet reads 145 degrees F when measured with an instant read thermometer. The breadcrumbs should be golden brown but if you’d like them crispier, set the oven to broil for a minute or two at the end of the cooking time.
Be careful not to overcook cod or it can become tough and chewy. Use an instant read thermometer for a tender, flaky result.
To keep it low carb, serve this easy baked cod over a bed of Sautéed Spinach with Garlic and Lemon, Garlic Parmesan Zucchini Noodles, or Cauliflower Rice Pilaf.
I also love it with Yellow Rice Pilaf or Almond Rice Pilaf and a simple veggie side like Instant Pot Broccoli or Air Fryer Turmeric Roasted Cauliflower.
More Easy Seafood Recipes
Lemon Basil Baked Cod
- ½ cup plain panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested, divided (plus additional lemon wedges for serving, if desired)
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ cup 2% Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup olive oil mayonnaise, or other healthy fat mayo
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 4 6 to 8 ounce cod fillets, fully thawed if frozen
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl combine the breadcrumbs, olive oil, parsley, 2 teaspoons lemon zest (reserve juice for later), onion powder, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and toss until well combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, mayo, Parmesan, basil, garlic, paprika, lemon juice, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Pat the cod fillets dry with paper towels and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Spoon the yogurt mixture on the top of each fillet and spread it around with the back of the spoon (nice thick layer). Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture evenly over each fillet, patting down lightly with your fingers. There should be a good layer of crumbs on each fillet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the temperature in the thickest fillet reads 145 degrees F when measured with an instant read thermometer (time can vary depending on the thickness of your fillets). If needed, you can broil to brown the crumbs more but it should be good – they should be golden brown.
- Serve with sautéed spinach and lemon wedges on the side
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home. All information provided regarding nutrition on this website is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Content related to nutrition is not medical advice nor is it intended to replace medical advice. The website is not intended to diagnose, prescribe, or treat any disease, condition, illness, or injury. Before beginning any diet program, modifying your diet, or making changes to the diet of a child in your care, including following the nutrition information available on the website, you should seek advice from a licensed professional.
Questions and Reviews
Mmmmm it was absolutely awesome