These Chicken Lettuce Wraps are light in calories and big in flavor. This fun, family-friendly meal takes less than 30 minutes to prepare.
After a little prep, these Chicken Lettuce Wraps are lightening fast to prepare and I can always depend on lots of mmm, yummy noises coming from my family every time I serve them.
You’d never guess it from tasting them but these easy lettuce wraps are surprisingly low in calories and carbs and high in nutrition.
Stir Fry Sauce Ingredients
- hoisin sauce (gluten-free if needed)
- reduced sodium soy sauce (or tamari or coconut aminos for gluten-free)
- rice vinegar
- finely grated ginger root
- toasted sesame oil
- minced garlic
Chicken Lettuce Wrap Filling Ingredients
- vegetable oil
- lean ground chicken (you can substitute ground turkey if you’d like)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- finely chopped cremini mushrooms
- diced red bell pepper
- finely chopped water chestnuts (optional – see more about this ingredient below)
- thinly sliced green onions
- butter lettuce (12 leaves)
- sweet chili sauce or Sriracha (optional)
Are Water Chestnuts Healthy?
We love the texture water chestnuts add to stir fries so I’ve listed them as an optional ingredient. Although called “chestnuts” they aren’t part of the nut family at all, but an aquatic tuber that grows under water in marshes.
Although moderately high in carbs, there is some amazing nutritional value in water chestnuts. They are low in calories and high in fiber, potassium and antioxidants.
The key to making any stir fry is to be sure all your ingredients are prepped and your stir fry sauce is combined before you begin cooking. The process goes very quickly once your skillet hits the heat so it’s vital that all your ingredients are ready to go.
- Chop and dice all your veggies and rinse your butter lettuce leaves.
- Combine the ingredients for the stir fry sauce in a small bowl.
- Cook the ground chicken in a small amount of vegetable oil, stirring to break up the meat, until cooked through.
- Drain off the excess grease and return the skillet to the heat. Season the chicken with salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper (if using), to taste. Add the mushrooms, red bell pepper, and water chestnuts (if using).
- You can add additional veggies if you’d like. Grated or diced carrot and zucchini are both great choices.
- Cook, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the veggies are beginning to soften.
- Add the stir-fry sauce and green onions and cook, stirring, until the veggies are fork tender.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and garnish with the remaining green onions.
To assemble the Chicken Lettuce Wraps, spoon some of the chicken and veggie filling into the butter lettuce leaves and drizzle with a little sweet chili sauce or Sriracha, if desired.
Looking for more? My Ground Pork Stir Fry with Zucchini and Mushrooms is another delicious, nutritious and SUPER easy meal choice.
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Stir Fry Sauce:
Chicken and Veggie Filling:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound 96% lean ground chicken, or ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste (optional)
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, stemmed and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 8 ounce can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped (optional)
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced, divided
- finely diced or grated carrots, diced zucchini
- 1 head butter (bib) lettuce (12 leaves), separated into individual leaves
- sweet chili sauce* and/or Sriracha, for serving
- In a small bowl combine hoisin, soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger root, sesame oil, and garlic. Set aside.
- Add the vegetable oil to a deep 12-inch skillet or saute pan and place it over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring to break up the meat, for 4 to 5 minutes or until cooked through. Drain off the excess grease and return the skillet to the heat. Season the chicken with salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper (if using), to taste. Add the mushrooms, red bell pepper, water chestnuts (if using) and any other optional vegetables to the skillet and cook, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the veggies are beginning to soften. Add the stir fry sauce and half of the green onions. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes more or until the veggies are fork tender. Remove from the heat and garnish with the remaining green onions.
- To serve, fold 2 to 3 tablespoons of the filling inside a lettuce leaf and garnish with sweet chili sauce or Sriracha, as desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home. All information provided regarding nutrition on this website is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Content related to nutrition is not medical advice nor is it intended to replace medical advice. The website is not intended to diagnose, prescribe, or treat any disease, condition, illness, or injury. Before beginning any diet program, modifying your diet, or making changes to the diet of a child in your care, including following the nutrition information available on the website, you should seek advice from a licensed professional.