This easy Broccoli Mushroom Stir Fry is fresh, flavorful and ready to serve in about 10 minutes. Serve these nutrient-packed veggies as a side dish or with rice for a satisfying vegetarian meal.
This gorgeous stir fry is an excellent way to add a burst of color and a ton of flavor to your menu. I love to serve it as a quick and easy side dish, but the meaty mushrooms make it so satisfying you could serve it as an entrée.
- Nutrition – This veggie stir fry packs a good amount of fiber, potassium, and Vitamin A.
- Low Calorie – With this much flavor, you’d never guess there are just 91 calories per serving.
- Kid-Friendly – The crave-worthy stir fry sauce will make even finicky kids eat their veggies!
- Fast and Easy – After some quick prep, the stir fry takes just minutes to cook.
Table of contents
- Vegetables – A broccoli crown, yellow onion, red bell pepper, and cremini mushrooms.
- Stir fry sauce – The flavorful stir fry sauce consists of low sodium soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, red pepper flakes, and cornstarch. Substitute tamara for a gluten-free stir fry.
- Oil – A neutral, high smoke point oil like vegetable oil is the best choice for stir fries.
- Garlic and ginger – You can use fresh minced garlic cloves and grated ginger root. Or, for a timesaving shortcut, look for garlic paste and ginger paste in the produce section of your grocery store.
- Sesame seeds – A nice but optional garnish.
How to Make Broccoli Mushroom Stir Fry
- Slice the florets off the broccoli crown and chop into 1 ½-inch pieces. Chop the onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms, (and garlic and ginger if using fresh).
- Whisk the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, red pepper flakes, and cornstarch in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok. When very hot, add the broccoli florets, onion, and red bell pepper.
- Stir fry until the broccoli is browned around the edges, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water to steam the broccoli, and stir fry for about 1 minute. Next, add the mushrooms and stir fry until the broccoli is fork tender.
- Next, add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Finally, add the stir fry sauce and cook until the sauce has thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Garnish with sesame seeds (if using) and serve immediately.
Stir Fry Tips
- Before beginning, gather all ingredients and chop all the vegetables. The stir fry process is fast so you should have everything prepped and within reach once you start cooking.
- Stem the mushrooms and quarter the mushroom caps. You can discard the stems or chop and add them to the stir fry.
- If you rinse your broccoli, be sure to turn it out on paper towels to drain and blot it dry before adding it to the hot oil.
- Adding a small amount of water to the wok helps to steam the tough broccoli to a perfectly fork tender state with no pre-cooking in advance.
- Side Dish – This easy veggie stir fry is an excellent choice for serving with Apricot Glazed Pork Tenderloin, Chicken Bites, Air Fryer Pork Chops, or Turkey Couscous Meatloaf.
- Main Dish – Serve this recipe with simply cooked white or brown rice, Yellow Rice Pilaf, or Cauliflower Rice Pilaf for a satisfying vegetarian meal.
Broccoli Mushroom Stir Fry
- 1 to 1.25 pound broccoli crown
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup roughly chopped sweet yellow onion, ½-inch pieces
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, stemmed and quartered (see notes below)
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste or minced fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste or grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons lower sodium soy sauce, or tamari for gluten free
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- sesame seeds, optional garnish
- Slice the florets off the broccoli crown and cut them down into 1 ½-inch pieces. If you rinse your broccoli, be sure to turn it out on paper towels to drain and blot it dry before adding it to the hot oil.
- Before you start cooking, chop the onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, (and garlic and ginger if using fresh). Place all the ingredients within reach.
- For the stir fry sauce, combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, red pepper flakes, and cornstarch in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over HIGH heat, swirling to coat the pan. When very hot, add the broccoli florets, onion, and red bell pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until the broccoli is browned around the edges, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water to steam the broccoli, and cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute and then add the mushrooms. Continue to cook until the broccoli is fork tender, about 2 minutes more.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the soy mixture, and stir until the sauce has thickened and the broccoli is coated, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat. Garnish with sesame seeds (if using) and serve immediately.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home. All information provided regarding nutrition on this website is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Content related to nutrition is not medical advice nor is it intended to replace medical advice. The website is not intended to diagnose, prescribe, or treat any disease, condition, illness, or injury. Before beginning any diet program, modifying your diet, or making changes to the diet of a child in your care, including following the nutrition information available on the website, you should seek advice from a licensed professional.