This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Tender shredded chicken with an irresistible honey soy sauce spiked with the flavors of garlic and ginger. Serve this Slow Cooker Honey Soy Chicken over rice for an easy, family-friendly weeknight meal.
I threw this easy Slow Cooker Honey Soy Chicken together on a busy day a couple of weeks back. I was literally so distracted that day that I nearly forgot I had started it. I think it’s because the prep is so gosh darned easy that it didn’t feel like I’d done any work at all.
A few hours later my kitchen smelled wonderful and shortly after that, this tasty meal was ready to serve. My slow cooker is my best friend!
I receive copies of cookbooks from my publishing company from time to time and several months ago Stress-Free Family Meal Planning by Kristin McCaffrey of Slender Kitchen arrived on my doorstep. After flipping through the book and trying some of these easy, healthy recipes, it was clear I had to share it with you all.
Kristen’s book emphasizes the importance of meal planning and sets forth realistic, practical solutions that work for busy families. The book includes four weeks of full meal plans – from breakfast through dinner. You don’t just get the recipes, you get shopping lists, weekly meal prep ideas, and daily strategies for making mealtime easy.
The recipes all have a manageable number of ingredients and are easy to customize to suit your taste. They span lots of different cuisines and preparation methods and of course, I zeroed in on Kristen’s easy slow cooker and one pot recipes.
- Using boneless chicken thighs in this recipe assures a wonderfully flavorful and tender result.
- Although Kristin lists chili garlic sauce as an optional ingredient, I highly recommend you give it a try. You’ll find it in the Asian section of your grocery store. It’s a blend of coarsely ground chilies and lots and lots of garlic that is spicy and tangy and does a fabulous job of brightening up recipes. I use it frequently to add a ton of flavor and a little heat to stir fries and marinades. It stays fresh for a very long time in the refrigerator, giving you plenty of time to experiment with it.
- Feel free to use either cooked white or brown rice for serving.
How to Make Slow Cooker Honey Soy Chicken
- Add the chicken thighs to a 6-quart slow cooker. In a medium bowl mix together the soy sauce, honey, vinegar, red onion, garlic, ginger, and chili garlic sauce (if using).
- Pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover and cook the chicken on low for 4 hours.
- Remove the chicken and set it aside.
- Whisk the cornstarch into the liquid in the slow cooker. Cover the slow cooker with its lid and increase the heat to high. Cook the sauce for 15 to 30 minutes, until it thickens to your liking. Meanwhile, slice or shred the chicken.
- Transfer the chicken back to the slow cooker and combine it with the sauce.
- Top with green onions.
More Easy Asian-Inspired Meals
- Low Sodium Instant Pot Ramen
- Ground Pork Stir Fry with Zucchini and Mushrooms
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Korean Ground Beef Bowls
Slow Cooker Honey Soy Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs trimmed
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ½ red onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon Asian chili garlic sauce (like Huy Fong) optional
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- 3 cups cooked rice or as needed for serving
- Add the chicken thighs to a 6 quart slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl mix together the soy sauce, honey, vinegar, red onion, garlic, ginger, and Asian garlic chili paste (if using). Pour the sauce over the chicken. Cook the chicken on low for 4 hours.
- Remove the chicken and set it aside. Whisk the cornstarch into the liquid in the slow cooker. Cover the slow cooker with its lid and increase the heat to high. Cook the sauce for 15 to 30 minutes, until it thickens to your liking.
- Meanwhile, slice or shred the chicken. Transfer it back to the slow cooker and combine with the sauce. Top with the green onions and serve over cooked rice.
Quick Stove Top Version
- Add all the ingredients for the sauce to a small pot over medium heat and simmer until it thickens. Toss the sauce with sliced rotisserie chicken and serve over cooked rice.
All information provided regarding nutrition on this website is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Content related to nutrition is not medical advice nor is it intended to replace medical advice. The website is not intended to diagnose, prescribe, or treat any disease, condition, illness, or injury. Before beginning any diet program, modifying your diet, or making changes to the diet of a child in your care, including following the nutrition information available on the website, you should seek advice from a licensed professional.