These buttery Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes take just 30 minutes to make. They’re perfect for a holiday menu but quick and easy enough to make on a busy weeknight!
You can make these mashed potatoes as light or as indulgent as you’d like with some simple variations.
Whether you like them chunky or creamy and fluffy, making perfect mashed potatoes has never been easier!
Gone are the days of slaving over the stove waiting for water to boil. Just pop the ingredients in your Instant Pot and let it do the work for you!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Quick and easy – These garlic mashed potatoes are made with minimal ingredients and are ready in just 30 minutes!
- Budget-friendly – No fancy ingredients are needed to make these yummy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes.
- Perfect for the holidays – Add this recipe to your Thanksgiving or Christmas menu to impress your guests!
- Potatoes – Starchy Russet potatoes are inexpensive and an excellent choice for making mashed potatoes. Naturally creamy Yukon Gold potatoes will also work well.
- Garlic cloves – Minced.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Optional garnish – Sprinkle the mashed potatoes with chopped fresh parsley or chives, if desired.
If you’re lactose intolerant, try using ghee instead of butter in this recipe. It has lower levels of lactose and is generally tolerated better.
Recommended Tools For This Recipe
- Instant Pot – A 5-quart or larger Instant Pot.
- Steamer basket – A silicone steamer basket with handles makes it easy to remove the cooked potatoes and garlic from the water after cooking. Optional, but highly recommended.
- Potato masher or electric hand mixer – For a chunky texture, a potato masher is all you need. For a creamier consistency, use an electric mixer.
How to Make Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Place the water and steamer basket into the Instant Pot then add the peeled potatoes and minced garlic. Secure the lid and set the knob to the sealed position. Cook at high pressure on the Manual setting for 10 minutes. Then, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release pressure for 5 minutes. Manually release any remaining pressure.
- Next, remove the steamer basket with the potatoes and garlic from the Instant Pot and drain the water. Then, return the potatoes and garlic to the empty Instant Pot and mash until chunky.
- Next, add the butter, salt, and pepper and mash again to reach the desired consistency. Top with additional salt, pepper, and butter and garnish with fresh herbs, if desired.
For extra creamy mashed potatoes, add a little warmed heavy cream, whole milk and more butter. Use an electric hand mixer to blend until smooth and fluffy.
What to Serve with Garlic Mashed Potatoes
These easy garlic mashed potatoes pair perfectly with any protein from pork and chicken to seafood and beef. Some of our favorites include Tender Baked Pork Chops, Lemon Basil Baked Cod, Blackstone Chicken Breasts, or Turkey Couscous Meatloaf.
More Delicious Side Dishes to Enjoy
If you’re trying to reduce your carb intake, check out this delicious Instant Pot Mashed Cauliflower recipe.
Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 ½ pounds potatoes, Russet or Yukon Gold, washed and peeled
- ½ cup butter
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more, to taste
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic, minced
- chopped fresh parsley or chives, optional for garnish
- Place the water and steamer basket into the Instant Pot and add the potatoes and minced garlic. Secure the lid on the Instant Pot and set the knob to the sealed position. Select MANAUAL and HIGH PRESSURE and set the time for 10 minutes.
- When done, allow pressure to naturally release for 5 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the steamer basket with the potatoes and garlic and drain the water from the pot. Return the potatoes and garlic to the empty Instant Pot. Using a potato masher or electric mixer, lightly mash the potatoes to a chunky texture. Next add the butter, salt, and pepper and mash again to reach the desired consistency.
- Season with additional salt, pepper, and butter and garnish with fresh herbs, if desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home. All information provided regarding nutrition on this website is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Content related to nutrition is not medical advice nor is it intended to replace medical advice. The website is not intended to diagnose, prescribe, or treat any disease, condition, illness, or injury. Before beginning any diet program, modifying your diet, or making changes to the diet of a child in your care, including following the nutrition information available on the website, you should seek advice from a licensed professional.