These quick and easy Rotisserie Chicken Tacos are on the table in under 30 minutes! Add your favorite taco toppings for a delicious, family-friendly meal.
When you need dinner and you need it fast, these Rotisserie Chicken Tacos are the answer! Shredded rotisserie chicken is quickly sautéed with onion, a little tomato paste, and a bold blend of seasonings to create the perfect taco filling for toasted tortillas.
If you prep the toppings in advance, it will take just 15 minutes to get this meal on the table!
- Olive oil
- Diced yellow onion
- Shredded rotisserie chicken – Remove and discard the skin and shred the meat. To make this even faster you can buy bags of pre-shredded rotisserie chicken meat at Costco.
- Cumin, paprika, coriander, oregano – A delicious blend of dried seasonings add just the right flavor.
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Tomato paste – Keep tomato paste in a tube on hand for recipes that call for a small amount. If you open a can, you can freeze the rest for later. Just place 1 tablespoon dollops on a wax or parchment paper-lined baking sheet and freeze until solid. Peel the frozen tomato paste off the paper and place them in a freezer-safe bag or other container. Any time you need just a tablespoon or two, you can just pull it from the freezer.
- Low sodium chicken broth
- Lime juice – Adds a bright pop of flavor!
- Canned black beans – Rinsed, drained and warmed in a saucepan. We love black beans but you can omit them or replace them with any type of beans you love.
- Flour, corn, or 50/50 blend tortillas – If you like both flour and corn tortillas, there are some really great blend tortillas available at most stores now. The best of both worlds! Toast them briefly on each side in a hot, dry skillet. Transfer toasted tortillas to a cloth tortilla warmer and they will stay warm for up to an hour. Alternately, wrap them in foil and place in a 200 degree F oven until ready to serve.
Optional Chicken Taco Toppings
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- chopped tomatoes
- sliced avocado
- cilantro leaves
- diced red onion
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- light or regular sour cream
- hot sauce and/or salsa
How Much Rotisserie Chicken Do I Need?
A rotisserie chicken will yield 3 to 4 cups of shredded chicken. You’ll need 3 cups so one chicken should be plenty for this recipe.
How to Make Rotisserie Chicken Tacos
- Sauté the onion in a little vegetable oil until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken and sprinkle the cumin, paprika, coriander, oregano, salt, and pepper over the top. Cook, stirring for a minute or two to distribute the seasoning.
- Add the broth and tomato paste and stir until well combined. Bring the mixture to a simmer then reduce heat and allow the mixture to cook down until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 4 to 5 minutes.
Assemble the Tacos
Top the toasted tortillas with some of the rotisserie chicken mixture, warmed black beans, and any of the optional toppings you’d like. You can keep it simple or really load them up with all the good stuff!
This is a great buffet-style meal for a game day party or easy dinner any night of the week.
This Rotisserie Chicken Taco filling makes is a fabulous freezer-meal.
- Make the chicken mixture according to the recipe directions.
- Allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Package it in freezer-safe plastic storage bags – either a gallon size bag or smaller portions can be frozen in quart-size bags.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
When ready to use, just allow the chicken taco filling to thaw safely and completely in your refrigerator overnight.
More Light Mexican-Inspired Recipes
- Grilled Chili Lime Chicken Tacos
- Beef and Vegetable Taco Bake
- Air Fryer Beef Taquitos
- Portobello Mushroom Fajitas
- Loaded Taco Skillet
Rotisserie Chicken Tacos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken meat
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lime
- 14 ounce can black beans, drained, rinsed, and warmed
- 12 small flour, corn (for gluten free) or 50/50 blend tortillas, see Notes
- Heat oil in a large skillet or sauté pan over MEDIUM heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken and sprinkle the cumin, paprika, coriander, oregano, salt, and pepper over the top. Cook, stirring for a minute or two to distribute the seasoning.
- Add the broth and tomato paste and stir until well combined. Bring the mixture to a simmer then reduce heat to LOW and allow it to cook down for 4 to 5 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Serve chicken on toasted tortillas with black beans and any (or all!) of the toppings.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home. All information provided regarding nutrition on this website is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Content related to nutrition is not medical advice nor is it intended to replace medical advice. The website is not intended to diagnose, prescribe, or treat any disease, condition, illness, or injury. Before beginning any diet program, modifying your diet, or making changes to the diet of a child in your care, including following the nutrition information available on the website, you should seek advice from a licensed professional.